subota, 1. veljače 2014.

Convert to Islam: British women - part 3

Dr Annie (Amina) Coxon, consultant physician and neurologist, 72, London

 

Dr Annie (Amina) Coxon: 'After 9/11, my relationship with my sister-in-law changed and I am no longer welcome in their home.

 

 

I'm English back to the Normans.
I was brought up in the US and Egypt, before coming to boarding school in the UK at six,
then doing medical training in London and the US.
I've been married twice, have three stepchildren and five stepgrandchildren.

I converted 21 years ago.
 It was the result of a long search for a more spiritual alternative to Catholicism.
Initially, I didn't consider Islam because of the negative image in the media.
The conversion process was gradual and ultimately guided by the example of the mother of the current Sultan of Oman – one of my patients – and by a series of dreams.

My family were initially surprised, but accepted my conversion.
After 9/11, however, my relationship with my sister-in-law changed and I am no longer welcome in their home.
I have friends for whom my conversion is an accepted eccentricity, but I lost many superficial ones because of it.

When I converted, I was told by the imam that I should dress modestly, but didn't need to wear the hijab because I was already old.
 During Ramadan, however, I do warn patients that I'll look a bit different if they see me coming back from the mosque.
The response has been fascination rather than repulsion.

I tried to join various Islamic communities: Turkish, Pakistani and Moroccan.
I went to the Moroccan mosque for three years without one person greeting me or wishing me "Eid Mubarak".
I had cancer and not one Muslim friend (except a very holy old man) came to pray with me in nine months of treatment.
But these are small annoyances compared with what I've gained: serenity, wisdom and peace.
I've now finally found my Muslim community and it is African.

Many Muslims come to London as immigrants.
Their ethnic identity is tied to the mosque; they don't want white faces there.
We are pioneers. There will be a time when white converts won't be seen as freaks.

 

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar